iOS, Android | B2C IoT | 2022-2023
The company had developed a Transfers and Excursions module -as part of a greater end-to-end management back-office system for the Travel Industry- based on the requirements of the Business Owner assigned by the client.
After the system had been developed, when the users tried it out, they were complaining to their management that they couldn’t work with the new system. The project was way over budget already, and in danger of missing critical dates for the client (high season that generates most of the annual income/profits).
Make the Transfers and Excursions planning module of the back-office system work for the client’s 27 companies across the world.Evaluate what works, fix what isn’t, and make sure that client’s employees want to work with such system.
I worked hand-in-hand with the senior PM assigned to the project in order to figure out what was working and what wasn’t. My role was to plan, conduct and analyse the necessary research -given the constraints- then propose solutions based on the evidence gathered. Also, I worked to create the strategy for the first two versions of the product
Our company was the software house of the Group (mothership). The main client was the 27 Destination Management Companies (DMCs) of the Group.
The product these DMCs sell is Hotel rooms, Flights, and/or Transfers services.
The transfers services have the biggest margin, thus the Group considered this project a priority and a strategic opportunity.
The system needed to gather and present reliable data so users could make decisions
The goal of the system was to create the most profitable plan while keeping the travelers happy. Our goal was to make sure this was happening consistently, and as easy as possible.
The client was not satisfied as the product was way behind budget, and time. We need to make sure we got that trust back.
We needed to make sure that tool we were building would be acceptable and useful for 27 companies around the world (each working with different processes and constraints).
The tool we were designing would be a significant advantage for our offering. Especially as the company was selling the system as SaaS to third parties.
We needed to make sure that we didn't wasted anything as the client had already paid for the system. There was pressure from top management (and client) to build around the existing tool as much as possible.
This is a simplification of the process followed in this project. The actual process was a lot more iterative, with many back and forth as we gained new understanding and we received more insights and evidence.In this short selection of steps we wont see all the steps we followed
Users had to enter data manually, even in cases where this was unnecessary as the data was already in the system in other places.
There was no one system that enabled them to do their job. They had to use multiple ones. Increasing the workload and possibility of making mistakes.
Users didn't trust certain data, thus they spent time researching and validating the values they saw in the system to avoid mistakes (really costly ones).
In case something changed in one the planned services, the system did not inform them. This increased the doing costly mistakes, and having travellers without a transfer.
The client having 27 companies across the world, each working on multiple systems, and following their own processes, couldn’t have a reliable overview of what was going on.
They needed to export data, and prepare custom emails done from scratch to communicate the orders to the suppliers. This got the last part of their job outside of the system, increased their workload, the error rates, and reduced visibility to the managers.
We found areas of improvement, and fixed minor usability issues faster and cheaper.The client and users were happy to see rapid iterations and improvements which helped us to get greater buy-in
We created interactive mocks in Axure RP and used actual data to test in the new concept did the job as we expected and to find areas we could improve the designs before we even started coding.
This helped us find improvements and make adjustments cheaper and way faster, making client, stakeholders, users and developers happy.
We had a quantitative baseline to compare future iterations of the module. This helped a lot with management as shown that our work, well, worked
After running a round of usability (qual) with 7 users using an Axure RP prototype, we asked the users to answer an SUS questionnaire (and added a question to also have a UMUX-lite).
We designed this study with users that haven’t seen the updated designs before, in order to test the understandability and learnability of the proposed system.
The results were promising as users understood how to use the designs, and were able to complete all the tasks.
iOS, Android | B2C IoT | 2022-2023
Back-Office Web App | B2B SaaS | 2022
Back-Office Web App | Internal | 2020
Web App | B2B2C SaaS | 2021
iOS | B2C SaaS | 2018 - 2019
Web AR App | B2C Concept | 2023